Latvia is a Eurovision country that I always wish well and want to like. But it’s been a few years since the voting public has wished them well. They haven’t made the finals since 2008, though up to then their record was VERY successful. After entering the Contest in 2000, the Baltic state had a decade of 8 qualifications, 3 top-five finishes, and a win in 2002 with Marie N’s “I Wanna”. Since then, their results have been rather dismal, with their highest finish being 16th in their 2012 semifinal with Anmary’s “Beautiful Song”.
This year, they look to be making an effort. Judging from the 24 song entries that progressed to their national selections, the quality for this year seems markedly improved. We still don’t know who are the performers for these songs, and can only hear the entries in demo form, but it’s worth heading to the contest website to check them out. Be warned that the player is a little buggy, and the songs tend to start and stop during buffering.
Here are the titles and songwriters for the 24 songs that will compete to represent Latvia in ESC2014:
The Dziesma 2014 entries songs
- Is it possible, composer: Edgars Kokorevičs, lyrics: Sabīne Vidriķe,
- Pēdējā vēstule, composer: Artūrs Šingirejs, lyrics: Ingus Bērziņš,
- Just stop, composer: Ruslans Kuksinovičs, Oskars Deigelis, lyrics: Oskars Deigelis,
- Pressure, composer: Žanna Berezina, lyrics: Žanna Berezina,
- I’m happy, composer: Tamāra Rutkovska, lyrics: Tamāra Rutkovska,
- Stay, composer: Ingars Viļums, lyrics: Ingars Viļums,
- Here I am again, composer: Vladimirs Koževņikovs (Niko), lyrics: Vladimtirs Koževņikovs (Niko),
- Bučas, composer: Aldis Zaļūksnis (Midis), lyrics: Mārtiņš Poļakovskis (Holis),
- You are the reason, composer: Katrine Lukins, Kārlis Indrišonoks, lyrics: Katrine Lukins,
- Going All the way, composer: Janis Driksna, lyrics: Janis Driksna,
- Lights on, composer: Gaitis Lazdāns, lyrics: Markus Riva,
- This moment and tomorrow, composer: Edgars Beļickis, Kārlis Auziņš, lyrics: Mikus Frišvelds,
- If I could (let away), composer: Miks Žagars, Raitis Aušmuksts, lyrics: Miks Žagars,
- I can breathe, composer: Aminata Savadogo, lyrics: Aminata Savadogo,
- I’ve got, composer: Ivo Grīsniņš Grīslis, lyrics: Ivo Grīsniņš Grīslis,
- Revelation, composer: Ralfs Eilands, Valters Pūce, Ansis Grūbe, lyrics: Ralfs Eilands,
- I need more, composer: Alise Ketnere (Fox Lima), lyrics: Alise Ketnere (Fox Lima),
- Cake to bake, composer: Guntis Veilands, lyrics: Guntis Veilands,
- Breathe slow, composer: Edgars Viļums, lyrics: Anete Volmane,
- Pa vidu tu, composer: Andris Kivičs, lyrics: Andris Kivičs,
- I need a soul-twin, composer: Mārtiņš Kits, lyrics: Mārtiņš Kits,
- What if it was, composer: Rolands Ūdris, lyrics: Rolands Ūdris,
- Dejo Tā composer: Kaspars Dvinskis, teksta autori Sabīne Berezina, Kaspars Dvinskis,
- Take away composer: Tomass Kleins, lyrics: Guntars Račs.
The 2014 Latvian Dziesma 2014 will consist of 2 semifinals on 1 and 2 February, and the grand final on 22 February . The semifinals will be held in Riga with the grand final in Ventspils.